Newbie from Adairsville, GA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by littlemissstang, Dec 4, 2012.

1. littlemissstang

littlemissstang Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello! I found this site when we were looking up some remedies for our new chickens! We had chickens when I was little, but since then I haven't been around many but we wanted to have fresh eggs for our family! So we started our own little flock! We have six Rhode Island Reds with a rooster (half black Austrolupe and Red), two bantam Cochins, and one Cornish X. We have had them almost seven months. We had them all seperated from each other when we got them, just like one of your threads stated in here. We still have two of the reds seperate because they had a runny nose and we gave them the antibotics that were recomended. Now they don't have a runny nose, but one of them looks like her feathers have been "chewed" on. I look forward to talking with all of you! [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, littlemissstang, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. Unsure of the age of your birds but if they are mature, it could be molting. Feathers get very dull and jagged. Just one possibility. Anyway, best of luck to you and your flock!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. littlemissstang

littlemissstang Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! And thanks for the information redsoxs! I was hoping that was all that was wrong with her. I'm not even sure about their age. But, one of them is laying! Yay! But, since they had the runny noses, i'm afraid to eat their eggs. We have been feeding them to my Great White Pyreness. He loves them and hasn't gotten sick from them. Is it ok to eat their eggs or to let them be with the other chickens? Or should I just keep them away from the rest? I'm just not sure what to do. [​IMG] I am just so happy that they are ok now! Thanks again, Veronica!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

The antibiotic you used should have a withdrawal time, the amount of time the eggs should be discarded, on the packaging, or you can do an internet search for it.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined. Glad your chickens are feeling better

10. PFSfarmer

PFSfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop
    There is great people and info here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by