Newbie from Alabama. need help with chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thehainline5, Aug 1, 2013.

1. thehainline5

thehainline5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Hello All.

I am fairly new to the chicken world. I have always wanted them and my husband finally said ok so I went for it. we have a coop with an additional runner added outside with 3 hens. 2 Dom's and 1 RIR. The Dom's are named Laverne and Shirley (lol I know) and the RIR is Rose. We had a Red Star. she was awesome. and My sons baby. One morning about 3 wks ago he went out to tend to them and found her dead in the coop [​IMG] Which led to me promising we would get a chick. Since we bought the hens as teenagers I wanted to experience a chick... that lead to getting two Silkies hatched June 26. The lady we got them from hatched them from an incubator. She was worried they werent true silkies and when I sent her a pic of them a week later she told me to come get two replacement chicks and I could keep the silkies. COOL! So off we went to get easter eggers. Well both my boys fell in love with an easter egger AND a sebright! oh my. Okay on to my help question. I have the silkies and the two small chicks well now just the sebright in the house. The small ones under a heat lamp. its only 50 watt red bulb. I originally got it for the silkies since they were older and didnt need much warmth. they seem to be okay with just some side warmth from it so i put it on the little ones. We have had them a week and this am the sebright was REALLY loud. So I went to check on her and the little adorable easter egger was dead! I have NO clue what happened! Now the sebright is chirping very very loudly and non stop. She stops if I hold her in my hands and cover her with them. HELP what should I do for her? Is she cold? Lonely?

thanks Shannon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. Sorry for your loss, She's probably cold or lonely, get her more warmth. Good Luck
    Welcome to BYC glad u joined us!
    [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] The one may have died from the cold, and the other cheeping because it is cold also. Do you have a thermometer so you can see the temp. under the light at their level.? Hatched chicks usually start off at 95 degrees in their brooder and the temp is lowered about 5 degrees each week . When they are fully feathered out, they no longer need a heat source. They also need an area of the brooder where they can move away from the heat if they are too warm.

They can also cheep a lot and die if they are overheated, so the thermometer should be a partial guide. If chicks sleep far apart they are hot, if they sleep in a tight pile, they are too cold.

Do to the Raising Backyard chickens forum and locate the thread on raising chicks, etc.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Shannon, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Sorry to hear about your chicks. Hope you find the help you require - best wishes!

7. thehainline5

Jul 27, 2013
    Thats what I was worried about. I put a thermometer in there today and put her in a 20 gal aquarium. she was in a small rabbit cage with a blanket around it to keep drafts down. I feel so so bad now for not making sure the other one was taken care of. I also put a dog toy skunk butt in there for the sebright to chill on and she is loving it! Its 90 at the bottom of the cage in the corner. and a bit warmer on top of the skunk butt where she seems to like staying. Thank you for your help.

8. thehainline5

Jul 27, 2013
    Is 95 too hot for a week 1/2 sebright. Its 90 at the bottom of the cage but she keeps getting on top of the skunk butt to sleep and sleeps great but its 95 up there. Wondering if i should burry the skunk in the cedar chips so its ground level and 90

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  10. thehainline5

Jul 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by