Newbie from Arkansas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loiseee, Jul 27, 2011.

1. loiseee

loiseee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    Hi,

I joined this forum to try and learn as much as I can about hatching eggs with an incubator. I bought 2 used LG incubators, one with a fan and both have turners. Jerry, if you are on here, Thanks again. I have never seen one in person befor this. I had bought a Blue Cochin hen, who after a few days settleing in started to lay eggs, she had been with a Rooster the day I picked her up. With me being so new to this, I left the eggs out in the nest until there were 7, brought them in, put them in a carton large end up and placed them in the basement. she laid 3 more so I put all of them plus a dozen of Australorp cross eggs along with them, in the incubator with the fan that had been maintaining a temp of 99.5 for about 4 days. The gentelman I got the LG's from gave me some adive which I followed.
    Two of the Cochin eggs were not fertile. On day 18, I awoke to find some had pipped,( still learning the terms) I already had the other one ready and stable temp wise for the brooder, do not have the thing to check humidity, not yet. out of the Cochin eggs, I had a 100% hatch, one the others, I have 4 left that I think are not going to, there has been nothing since yesterday morning and that was the last of the Cochin eggs, Now how long do I keep the last 4 eggs in there?

Thanks

Lois in SW Arkansas.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. There is a lot of people here who can help you with incubating unfortunately not me. [​IMG]

3. loiseee

loiseee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    Thank you, I am transplanted from Modesto, California to here. I have learned so much, but what all I have read, I did nothing right LOL!! so much more to learn, am waiting to get Raising Chickens For Dummies to get here.

Lois

4. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    [​IMG] from Central Missouri. Lots of good info here. This Site is great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by