1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from AZ Buff Orps

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by azwi11ow, Nov 20, 2016.

1. azwi11ow

azwi11ow New Egg

Nov 20, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

I am a first time chicken owner. My two chickens are currently 16 week, buff orpingtons (had them since day 4). It's been an interesting but easy time raising these two in the past four months. I spent a bit of time contemplating if I had one rooster and one hen, but am pretty sure at this time that they are both hens. Small comb, barely any sign of waddles, and nothing that looks like saddle feathers or pointed feathers around the head/neck. They were supposed to be sexed, but you never know. In fact, when I purchased them, I was told they were bantums, and the guy at my local feed store kind of laughed, today. He's like, ummm. Those are big bantums for 16 weeks (from pictures)....they are as big and taller than my chihuahuas. In any case, they free range about 30% of the day, have a 5'x2' run, and go in their coop at night. They are silly, love to chase the dogs, and are very quiet and friendly. One likes to sit on my lap or in my arms and be petted. I got them for egg production, and am looking forward to the laying adventure.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - hopefully both are pullets.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under azwi11ow [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!

I have fingers crossed for you that they are both pullets. Chickens are silly and usually never fail to give you a reason to smile or chuckle on a daily basis.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope they are pullets also. Your run is only large enough for one bird & buff orps are big.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Hope those eggs come soon!

Best wishes
    CT

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC from another AZ.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our flock! Best wishes! :yiipchick

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by