Newbie from AZ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by peggy6e, Oct 24, 2013.

1. peggy6e

peggy6e New Egg

Oct 24, 2013
    Phoenix Metro
    We just bought three hens (7 mos. old) and we are free-ranging them in the little bit of grass we have in the desert! No experience with poultry here, so our curious and happy children are learning along side us. We have a child with special-needs who uses a wheelchair. She is just pure delight and loves to toot around in her powerchair to see what the chickens are doing. We have a few raised garden beds on table legs so our entire family can garden together. My husband is active duty and we homeschool.

Looking forward to making friends and learning from everyone.
    Cheers, Peggy

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] thanks to your husband for his time in service. If you would like to find out how others in your state manage their chickens, go to "where am I, where are you," in the Social forum.

When you locate the Arizona thread you can post on it and likely find others in your area that could exchange advice, best feed store, how to get the chickens thru hot weather, etc.

What breed of chickens do you have? For some reason I can picture your daughter whizzing around on her chair with a white Silkie on her lap. I think it's because people with silkies tend to make real pets out of them. Kids end up dressing them up, or giving them rides in a wagon or toy truck and for the most part the silkies don't seem to mind.

BTW lots of good info in the Learning Center.

3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

7. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG] Chickens are great for family bonding time.

8. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Peggy,

Thank your husband for his service. We are a retired military family and appreciate and understand the many sacrifices you have to make. Welcome to BYC. This place is a plethora of info and you will find many great peeps on here. Don't be afraid to ask questions and the only dumb question is the one never asked.

I think it is wonderful that you have set up "your world" where your special needs child is just as much a part of it! That makes you both heroes in my eyes! [​IMG]

Dawnie

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by