Newbie from Bowling Green, KY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by missbecky, Oct 27, 2014.

1. missbecky

missbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    I'm new to BYC, but have been lurking for about a year researching as much as I could before ordering my first chicks.

This site has been super helpful, and I'm looking forward to interacting with other chicken enthusiasts.

My flock consists of some really great chickies... i just love them! We have one Welsummer hen, a Colombian Wyandotte, a blue Cochin, a Buff Orpington, 3 beautiful white Silkies (which might be Roos), and the sweetest most awesome and loving little "Mystery chick" which I believe is a bantam Rhode Island Red.

Although we are not builders, this is the coop we built for our chickies. Daisy is in the picture. She is our field lab, and helped raise the chicks. She takes real good care of her girls -They even nap together.

The chicks all arrived July first 2014 from Murry McMurry, and are doing fantastic!

[​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Your flock sounds like fun and how nice to have your dog get along so well with the birds. Glad to have you join us! [​IMG]

3. missbecky

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    Thank you. She's helped raise them from day one. I had them in my spare bathroom, so she would check in on them with me, and go through the whole process of caring for them. She thinks they are hers... Lol.

Unfortunately she also thinks they make special candy just for her -blech.

4. DesertChickens1

DesertChickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    Hello and Welcome to BYC!!! Your flock sounds awesome, such variety !!! And your dog is adorable too :D Good luck in your chicken adventures !!

5. missbecky

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    Thank you, My husband said we could have 4 chickens... I managed to get 8 (I can't wait to have more.). I'm hoping to breed one of the Silkie Roos to get some cute little female chickies... Since the eggs were my convincing point to get my chicks ;) I'm allergic to commercial eggs because of the hormones, and other stuff they inject them with -So mine will be raised completely organic having only the Mereck vaccine.

I really like the heritage breeds, but also wanted a variety to see which ones we liked the best (personality, production, etc).

Unfortunately I'm going to have to keep my rooster(s) on the down low until I can find them a good loving home where they won't be feeding the wild life. They are spoiled everyday with lots of love, and they will stay pets even when they stop laying.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How nice to have a happy dog vs chicken story, Generally we hear how the family dog devoured the chicks, sometimes it's even a Chihuahua, or doxie. Silkies are very difficult to sex before the age of 4-6 mos. and sometimes not till they either lay eggs or crow. Around that time, maybe you'd like to post their photos on the "Silkie Thread," to have them render educated opinions of what sex they are. BTW glad you joined the BYC flock.

7. missbecky

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    I'd love to do that.

I caught one crowing right in front of me today -all for a treat. I'm just hoping she (maybe he) is in the midst of a gender identity crisis. A crowing hen(?)

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. You did a great job on the coop.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

Unfortunately, a crowing hen at this age is probably a rooster. Rarely, hens do crow, but such birds are usually old, really dominant, or with reproductive problems.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by