Newbie from Canberra, Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Isobelm, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Isobelm

Isobelm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Hi Everyone!

My name's Bel and I'm new to chicken keeping, and Back Yard Chickens.com! I've been reading all sorts of wonderful information on here in my preparation/research for getting chickens and am so grateful for the wealth of knowledge that is available here! Thanks to everyone who has shared!

So to tell you a little more about myself and my chickens, this is the first time I've ever kept chickens, and so far I'm loving it! I am currently building my own coop with a Hobbit theme to it (because I'm a little crazy about hobbits too!), which will house my 5 new babies (4 weeks old today!), Mirabella Brandybuck (Australorp), Esmeralda Took (Silver laced Wyandotte), Goldilocks Gamgee (Gold laced Wyandotte) and Rosie Cotton and Angelica Baggins (both light Sussex'). I also have a dog and a cat, so it's been very interesting making sure all the kids get along!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I'm not getting clucky over my chickens, I am working in IT as a business analyst and project manager, and studying wedding and event planning. I also like cake decorating, sewing, building things and camping!

I look forward to meeting you all and continuing my learning journey with my beautiful girls!

Bel

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day and a pleasure to meet you Bel. I had a feeling you were a Hobbit fan, love the names of your chickens. I was just thinking maybe they could come up with prequels like "Young Gandalf," etc. I'm not ready for it to end. We have a large Aussie community on here, and always room for more. Plus a thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island." Hope you will enjoy backyard chickens as much as we do.

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day, and welcome back to BYC, Bel. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have some beautiful chooks and should get lots of nice, large, brown eggs from them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Great photos and cute chicks. Would love to see your coop when you get it done.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

Cute birds! And I like the names you picked!

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

I love the names you picked! I'm a big Lord of the Rings/Hobbit fan, too.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! Nice chicks!

9. Isobelm

Isobelm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! And it's great to meet a few fellow LOTR chicken enthusiasts too!

I will definitely be posting pictures of the coop once it's complete - hopefully by the end of this weekend!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by