Newbie from Central New Mexico

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lute, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    The state, not the country. [​IMG]You have no idea how many people don't realize there's a state called NEW Mexico.

I've been a rather bad newbie. I posted a bunch of other places before posting here. Oops... [​IMG]

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Not new to chickens at all! I lived on a small farm when I was a child but that was a long time ago now. This is my first time with my own chickens. It's my boyfriend's first time with chickens (that's not already on the grill) also!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    We currently have 6 chickens and 4 Pekins -- 2 that are ducklings and 2 that are 7 months old, a breeding pair, that should be laying very soon since it's starting to warm up!

(3) What breeds do you have?
    5 Black Star sexlinks and 1 New Hampshire Red. I named her Rosie. She likes to be picked up. <3

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I lurked for a few days before joining. I actually found you guys by googling Chicken Coop designs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Reading, Writing, Stargazing, beer brewing and making cheese. I'm such a homemaker. [​IMG]

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well, there's myself and my boyfriend. We've been together for 5 years. Together we have a Pit Bull/ChowChow mix that's just the sweetest little dog. I currently live in a small town and work full time at the front desk of a hotel. It's easy work and I get to browse web forums when it's slow. We're currently working on plans to have our own self sufficent homestead in about 5-10 years, after my boyfriend has finished college and we have quite a bit of funds saved up for vacant land. Once that's figured out, we plan on getting a ton more chickens, ducks, a dairy cow or two and a few breeding rabbits.

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio.....glad you joined

3. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Thank you! :)

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

5. braindead101

braindead101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Midwest.
    When we moved to Albuquerque our family and friends asked us if we ever used U.S. currency. They also didn't understand about the Land of Enchantment. Loved the place while there, but the schools were a little lame at the time [60s-70s]. Anyway....welcome.

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC. Glad you joined us!

~AnnElise

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by