Newbie from Chicago

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by melissamende, Jun 14, 2016.

1. melissamende

melissamende Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Hi All,

I'm so glad i found this site! I recently became interested in raising chickens and this seems like a great place to figure out how to do it. I'm still in the researching phase but I'm hoping to start mini flock by July. I do live in the city so space is an issue which is why I'm planning on having 4 chickens max. I have a 5 1/2 x 20 foot space I'm planning on fencing for the coop and run. I'm also planning on getting Bantams instead of standard size chickens. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can buy started bantam pullets? I don't really have the space for chicks and I also have a dog, which doesn't seem like a great mix :)
    Thanks!
    Melissa

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there Melissa and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

You might start in our learning center to help get you started in learning on caring for your new flock, feeding them and all around health care for any future use...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Then you might stop by your state thread and chat with your chicken neighbors and maybe they can tell you where to get Bantams and anything else you might need to know about your area...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/309048/chicago

(this Chicago thread seemed bigger than your state thread)

Make yourself at home Melissa and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock! :)

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you join us.

It is difficult to find started pullets at all, much less started bantam pullets. Be prepared to pay well to get them. Good luck in your search.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Melissa - Welcome to the BYC flock.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Melissa and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello and wish you the best of luck!

All the best
    CT

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I second the above, and add that most people that breed bantams breed the fancy birds that come with even higher prices...

Unless you need eggs before X-mas probably best to simply find some chicks and raise them, but be aware that with the smaller bantam size comes the smaller eggs, about a 3:1 ratio so with only 4 bantam hens you are only looking at about the equivalent of 1 regular egg a day at most...

If they are primarily going to be pets the egg issue is irrelevant...

7. RingosGarden

RingosGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    Mound House, NV
    Welcome! Looks like you've got some good advice so I'll just say good luck on your new chicken adventure!
    [​IMG]

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by