Newbie from Dayton Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ohionick, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ohionick

Ohionick New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    Hello all! thought I would introduce myself! My name is Nick and My wife, Young son (3 1/2) and Myself live on the outskirts of Dayton Ohio and after purchasing our home in the country (3 years ago now) we immediately wanted to try our hand at raising chickens. After a few years of other projects to accomplish this winter we decided this spring would be the one to start our chicken journey. My wife is the dreamer and i am the the detail oriented figuring this out kind of guy. Shes more worried about what color our coop will be and the decorations on it and i am worrying about foundations and ventilation. So far we have most of the materials to build the Wichita Cabin Coop extended to 6X12 in the basement with primer already applied. The plan is to purchase 6, day old chicks at the beginning of April. I have been eating sleeping and breathing chickens for the last few months in preparation for this new journey. I typically do lots of research on anything new i try and tackle so hopefully it will pay off and i wont spend this money and time and not kill my chicks in 1 week! Any advise for a complete chicken rookie is more than welcome! Thanks!!

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Nick, it's nice to have you join us! The most helpful thing I can suggest is that you read up on the articles in the Learning Center...lots of good information there to get you off on the right foot.

Best wishes with all your plans!

3. poppsiej

poppsiej Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2017
    Denver, CO
    My Coop
    Hi Ohionick! Welcome to Chicken-dom. The good news is that this hobby is very rewarding. Chickens are some of the most curious, love-able creatures out there, plus there are the eggs, YUM! On the down side, you will become addicted to chicken-keeping. I started out saying "6 chickens should be enough" and now I am at 10 and looking to grow it even more.

Good luck with the plans and I look forward to following your progress.

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Nick & Family [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree that the Learning Centre is a great starting point: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

and some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I think the dreamer and detail combination is perfect! You should end up with a beautiful and functional coop.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When planning ahead, it is also good to check out the predator threads, so it won't be a shock when they visit the neighborhood. Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ohionick, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Looks like you've already received a wealth of great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC! I'll just say, build your coop big enough that when chicken math takes hold you don't have to rush to add on. [​IMG]

Great to have you with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by