Newbie..from FL...Hello

FLFarmGirl

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Williston, Fl
smile.png
Hello, My name is Lisa and I live in North Central FL. I found your forum looking up care for baby chicks as my son has always wanted chickens and we recently moved onto my family's 40 acre farm. He is eleven and very excited. Though our feed store is our of chicks already so we have to look around and find some elsewhere. He wants some RIR probably. This is a very informative and friendly site. Looking forward to making new friends. We have chickens at the end of our lane all the time as the neighbors chickens are always scratching around in our lane, so it will be nice for him to have his own.

Hello FLFarmGirl,
I'm also new here,and have found many friendly and helpfull people.
All I can suggest for you is to read a good book about chickens and don't be affraid to ask questions.

I just got my first chics from Meyer Hatcheries,and I had a good experience with them.
Just try to find the one closer to you or find a local person through backyardchickens buy/sell/trade section.

Good luck with your chickens and welcome to the forum,
Ed

Welcome to BYC,

I am way up North in NY, wishing I had some Florida weather.

Getting chickens is wonderful for the family. I have a 12 y.o. daughter and 10 y.o. son that just love it!
We have ours for egg production and are our pets ( just 5 hens )

My advice to you would be look at hatcheries, but most ask for a 25 chick. minimum order and will tack on a large fee, so if you don't want that many, lots of folks are ordering theirs now and you could maybe go in with someone local to you. There seems to be a fair amount of people from FL here. Just post a new topic and see what happens.
Just be careful getting hens from local people. They can come sick, full of mites, lice, etc. Getting them from hatcheries you can choose to have them vaccinated and I reccomend that. JMO.

Good luck and have fun!

Another thought, would be to invest in an incubator ( a good one and you can get opions on that here too ). There a ton of hatching eggs that you can have shipped to you. That would be fun too.

Hello Ed, I looked up the Meyer hatchery yesterday, I would like to forgo the shipping if I could. Though I have heard good things about them and others that ship.

Hello s6bee, kinda started out gloomy this am but sun is coming out now. We had a ton of rain last week and this week has been beautiful mid 70's. Thanks for your info, I tried to find a florida hatchery closer to us but couldn't. Was going to call some of the other farm stores today. My son is hoping to find his birds by saturday. He would like to start with 6, he really hopes they will like him. I don't know much about their personalities so we will have to see.

Hi Lunachick thanks for the welcome. I think I am addicted to this place already. I have wasted most of the morning reading.

Welcome to BYC! You'll not find a better source of information and wacky chicken folks anywhere else on the 'net, IMO!!

My adivce would be to take some time before ordering your chicks; decide why it is that you want them, and go from there. I adore all my chickens, but I may have chosen a different breed if I'd educated myself more in the beginning. Now, I'm adding a few her & there to end up with the flock I want. There's lots to know about chickens, and the more you know BEFORE you get into them, the easier it'll be for you!!

Have fun, and keep us all posted on your chicken activities! Remember: we love pictures!!

big_smile.png

Hey Lisa I'm from Florida too. We are north of you in Taylor County. We get our chicks from Cackle or Sandhill Preservation. Check with Craigs list I am sure I saw someone one there with RIR for sale You can also chekc with tractor supply they sell them too. Welcome to the forum Micki

Back
Top Bottom