Newbie from Florida, got my baby chicks today :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shauna, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Shauna

Shauna New Egg

Feb 18, 2011
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? - well we got our first batch locally at 1 week old several months ago, kept em inside till they were 6 weeks cause it was cold, then let them out to free-range. Since they were only adolescents after 3 weeks outside we lost all but 5 out of 25 to day time predators, they get cooped at night.So we fixed up an old greenhouse we weren't using and now those stay safe. Now we're trying to start over again.

Today my first new born batch arrived from an online hatchery my hubby used. 27 3-day olds fuzzy as can be and I'm sitting right next to them like a mother hen, lol.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? - That would make a total of 32 at the moment

(3) What breeds do you have? - Well everything has been done pretty informally so it's a little hard for me to tell on some of them. We have Ameracaunas, RIR, BR, some brown ones that I call racing stripes because they are fast and they match no picture I can find on this website on the breed or sub breed index, lol.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Hubby found it from an online search when we started seriously considering our chicken venture.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Hmm, I like to play online games and I read Sci-Fi fantasy when I'm not chasing around my 3 children ages 6 and under! [​IMG]

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. - So I'm a stay at home mom with a 6yr old boy that I home school and 2 daughters, one is 4 the other 3 yrs old. We also have 3 cats and 1 dog, all girls, well taken care of and mostly like to snuggle with mom but they have a cat door so they're indoor/outdoor animals. I get lots of time on the computer atm since I have a couple of incurable diseases and have been mostly bed-ridden for the last 3 years. I'm currently working on my come back however, out of sheer force of will and the strength God gives me. So, I expect I won't be quite as active with my FB and games in the near future, lol.

As for our chickens, we've been using this sight for a good number of months tho just now becoming a member - I would definitely consider us very new at this. It's our intention to raise them for eggs to supply our family and sell for a minor profit to acquire a discount on our property taxes. My hubby and I are both "townies", but we happen to live just outside Tampa and on approx 4 acres in a farm area so we decided to get more into the farm life. We'd like to be able to handle lots of different animals in the future but since we are "clueless townies", we're taking things slow, hehe. We once owned 3 goats, 1 a pygmy - thought that would be fun and mostly easy, only to find that we couldn't afford to put up "real fencing" and those things are darn clever! After many fence breakouts and finding goats standing on the hood of my van many times, we finally had to admit we were in over our head and gave them to a local petting farm. Now, I'm more cautious, lol. That's about all I can think of atm, we have loved this site for all the wonderful advice and information! I'm a little neurotic, OCD, worrier, whatever you want to call it hehe so I'm trying to make sure I'm doing everything right for my cute little babies here.

Thanks to all and we look forward to learning from you more.

Shauna and Glenn Turner <3

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

I'm thinking we live in the same area. Did Glenn go to EB High School?

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hi and [​IMG]

4. Shauna

Shauna New Egg

Feb 18, 2011
    hah! That would be cool. Um, we live here now but Glenn went to Milford High in Boston area and Charlotte High in Punta Gorda area. We're in Thonotosassa now and love the location, right outside Tampa, right off I-75, but very "back woods" where we are. [​IMG]

5. Shauna

Shauna New Egg

Feb 18, 2011
    thanks you guys! And, may I pose a question? My chicks have been doing a lot of lower beak or chin scratching, is this just normal cause their feathers are wet from drinking? Or is the sugar in the water making things a little sticky for them and I should take them off it and just use regular warm water now?

I'll post it in a different thread if need be, just thought I'd ask since I had you all here. [​IMG]

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Ok, different Glenn. That WOULD have been funny. I am in Riverview. [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Congrats on your new arrivials. [​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by