Newbie from Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ftlmom, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ftlmom

ftlmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Hi everyone, I am so excited to join this group, I have a lot to learn. My hubby recently gave me the OK to get some hens this fall and I am trying to learn as much as I can. It's illegal to keep chickens around our neck of the woods, but we feel like the city has left us no choice. We need to feed our family, so we will be taking a lot of chances this comming year with the chicks, the garden and hopefully some meat birds next spring. I need all the advice I can get.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome!

Are you in an area where you are very visible to your neighbors? I would hate to see you get started only to be found out and prosecuted by code enforcement people.........

I certainly don't mean to discourage, but unless you can keep things hidden, it might not be a good idea.....

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. ftlmom

Jul 14, 2011
    We are in the process of making our yard very private. We will be closing the yard up with a 6 ft wooden privacy fence. My hubby will build us a very little coop for the girls. And we are planninmg to hide it amongs the garden vegetation. Our yard is not that small but we did speak to our neighbors to the back about it and they are very supportive. I'm more worried about the front yard garden than the backyard because the backyard will be closed off. The only time anyone will be going into the backyard will be once a month when the power people come to read the meter. I know in advance when they are comming and I plan to keep the girls hidden for that morning.
    What do you all think, Can we do it?

5. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

6. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    [​IMG] from Tampa!

7. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

8. ftlmom

Jul 14, 2011
    wow, Thank you guys for all the warm welcomes.

9. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
  10. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by