Newbie from he South West.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by noodlegirl, Nov 6, 2011.

1. noodlegirl

noodlegirl In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? We "adopted" our firsts yesterday. The breeder said they are 5 1/2 month old but they will probably start laying within the next 30 days. A few weeks ago, I was looking up the local CSA http://www.localharvest.org/ because we keep missing the farmers market on Saturday. Saturdays are my busiest day with carting three kids back & forth to classes. Anyway, there was an ad for "backyard chicken classes" and something struck in me and I've been chicken crazy since.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? three chickens for three kids.

(3) What breeds do you have? all barred plymouth rock. My hubby laughed but was impressed at my excel analysis I did to decide the breed (because I was supposed to be working on a cash flow for him). They needed to tolerate heat well and we wanted good egg producers who were not only "quiet", good with confinement but also "friendly". Today they were quiet as mice hiding in the plants most of the day. But as the sun set they finally came out into the yard. Our queensland heeler (dog) chased them pretty good this morning much to our dismay. Thank Goodness she minds "OFF!" and "COME" really well.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? from the resources section in the book "Chick days" by Jenna Woginrich. I downloaded every book available from the digital library.
    I've been pouring over coop designs. We live in the southwest so we need an "airy/open" design. I've seen several similiar coops on craiglist but decided to try to build it myself. Honey helped (thank the stars for him!) I rummaged thru the scrap bin at home depot this morning and scored big! With paint & chicken wire...so far only $67... but it's taken me all day to build. I'm hoping to paint a facade of a playhouse on the back tomorrow, if I can find the time.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=16313-chicken-tractor

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? genealogy, baking, crotcheting, quilting, child rearing (lol)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I'm married with three children. We're both accountants. And no, we don't fight over who gets to balance the check book or the taxes. (LOL).

2. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Songster

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG]

3. petejd

petejd Chirping

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    [​IMG] from South Carolina..

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. MSDeb

MSDeb Songster

Welcome to BYC

8. oneofseven

oneofseven Songster

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    Welcome.

9. greymane

greymane Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad you joined us!

[​IMG]

10. [​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by