1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from Kansas (soon to be Texas)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LilGAPeach, Mar 23, 2013.

1. LilGAPeach

LilGAPeach New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Ogden, KS
    Hi everyone! I found BYC while doing some research about breeds and coops. [​IMG] My husband is in the Army and we are PCSing to Texas next week. I've spent about 2 weeks designing my own coop. I've never had chickens before but I love the idea of going out in the morning to collect eggs for breakfast. Once the coop and run are finished, we are going to look at getting between 4 and 6 chickens to start out with. I want a wide range of the different color eggs so looking at different breeds. I have gone through about 7 different coop designs and still working. LOL I want it big enough so that we can expand to about 12 or 15 chickens when all said and done. [​IMG] Can't wait to get to Texas and get our coop built so that I can start looking at some chickies!!! LOL

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Chickens are so much fun to keep. More fun than I ever imagined. And it gets nothing but better with time! The chickens them selves develop individual personalities and many times a few of them get really attached and affectionate toward you. Well worth the work on the new coop AND the wait!

Enjoy BYC!

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Never lived there myself but I hear WONDERFUL things about Texas! Welcome to BYC!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Please thank your husband for his service to our country.

6. LovePolish2

LovePolish2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Missouri
    Welcome! :)

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from a fellow Kansan, LilGAPeach, and [​IMG]! Well, I guess you're a temporary Kansan anyway! Great to have you here! Happy you are joining in on the fun of being a chicken keeper! Have fun and enjoy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by