Newbie from KC Missouri coming out of lurkdom.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KaFox, Aug 19, 2013.

1. KaFox

KaFox Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Sibley, Mo.
    Hello all you wonderful poultry people....I have been spending so much time on this wonderful site the last couple months and am finally taking the plunge tomorrow and getting 6 started pullets 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, & 2 Rhode Island Reds from a friend of my hubbys. We have finally finished the coop and run and brooder and I'm working on a seperate pen/coop for future needs. I will create an album with pics of the "Coop de Ville" at some point.
    I have succumbed to the addiction wholeheartedly! Dragging my dear hubby with me!
    I am new to chickens so I'm sure I will have tons of questions which hopefully I post in the right sub forums. I am particularly interested in Large Fowl Heritage Breeds and have a particular fondness for Orpingtons and Brahmas so will try to focus on those 2 breeds..... BUT there are so many other wonderful breeds, I can see how it would be hard to limit oneself to just a few....we shall see.
    I love the concept of raising animals as naturally as possible and have learned a lot from that thread....I have started colonies in our spare bedroom of meal worms and super worms ....and have a bucket of fermenting food started in there as well...my hubby thinks I even more nuts then usual!
    Well lets see....other hobbies I enjoy are gardening and jewelry making. I love country life and living off the land and as simply as possible. We have 2 horses, and a dog and tomorrow 6 pullets....OH I forgot to mention the chicken math has already started!
    I am expecting 12 Lavender Orpington chicks from a local breeder in 21 ish days and am going to go look at some adult Light Brahmas this weekend....so will be posting a bunch more soon.
    Thanks everyone in advance,

Kelly

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I like that you said you will have a separate coop and pen for future needs - BOY, you really belong here!![​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, KaFox, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you with us! Best wishes to you!

7. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Welcome from KY! [​IMG] You have a good start on the chicken math. The way you are going, may I suggest you start construction on 5 more coops tomorrow!?! [​IMG]

8. KaFox

KaFox Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Sibley, Mo.
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I can't wait to get my first chickens today. DH has restricted next coop expenses, so the next pen will be entirely re-purposed stuff from a dilapidated barn we have on property....VERY rustic.

9. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome and I'm glad you have joined us!

10. mrballance

mrballance Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome aboard KaFox Let us know if you need advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by