Newbie from Louisiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tandc93, Jan 8, 2011.

1. tandc93

tandc93 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Hello! I've been reading on the site for a couple months and decided it was time to formally join. My husband and I have 4 children, 2 bio sons and 2 daughters adopted from China and we've submitted our paperwork to try to adopt another little girl.

We're sort new to chickens. An acquaintance gave us 3 day old chicks late in 2009. Turned out to be 2 Japanese Cochin Bantams--one hen, one rooster--and a barred rock who grew to be huge! The hen died, pity as it was my son's pet and would lay at his feet and let him pet her. We purchased some day olds from McMurray and had just put them outside when the neighbors dogs killed them all. So we are on our second batch. They're doing really well. I think we have 13 hens and 4 roosters. Yes, I know, too many. It wasn't intentional! LOL We knew we had the 2 already. We ended up with a RIR rooster in the batch and also one we're not sure what to call it. It was a freebie thrown in and it turned out to be a rooster. It's beautiful--has the colorings of a RIR, but has feathery legs. We have to make a decision soon on who goes. Hard as they are all so different. The barred rock is one of my daughter's. The bantam is just not a problem and not enough for a meal for 6... Feather legs is too beautiful to kill and the RIR I would want in case we could get chicks, but then how would I know they were his... The barred rock is protective of the hens, but the RIR seems to be quite amorous... Thoughts?

We're a homeschool family, live on 6 acres, and would love to have more animals!

Excited to really dig into the forums and learn!

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] from Arkansas,

To answer your rooster question, if they belong to the Barred Rock, all chicks will most likely be all barred. If they were mine with only thirteen hens I would narrow it down to one rooster. I want to warn you though that most Rhode Island Red rooster are pretty aggressive. I don't have the Barred Rocks, but do have White Rock, my current White Rock rooster is fairly aggressive and I have never seen this in the Plymouth Rocks before. The featherey legged rooster I am not sure what it could be, What hatchery did you purchase from?. Oh yeah now that I think about it maybe a Partridge Cochin? Most Cochins that I've seen and dealt with are pretty mild tempered.

Good luck with these. They should be good for the kids. If they not not aggresive roosters that is?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

The obvious answer is to get 30 more hens, problem solved. [​IMG]

Imp

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry for the double post. Puter froze.

Imp

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from North Carolina

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    [​IMG] from Louisiana. What city do you live in?

7. tandc93

tandc93 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks, y'all!

Kuntrygirl, we are quite close! We're in Broussard, just outside of Lafayette. Our house is on the market and if it sells, we're seriously looking at a house in Opelousas.

Imp, I LOVE the way you think! Although these are producing about a dozen a day and I can't seem to sell them. Only a couple of friends seem to want them. I can't imagine 40?? LOL

Draye, all of them seem pretty cool with the kids. The kids have been very interactive with them from day 1, so I think they're use to them.

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello from Hesperia, Ca [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I know exaxcly where Broussard is. I work in Lafayette on Bertrand Drive. I drive back and forth every day. Opelousas is a great place to live. I live on the outskirts in the country on a few acres of land. It's Paradise out here with my animals. If you're ever in the area, let me know and you can come on by and see my little farm. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by