Newbie from Manchester NH area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BBassett, Feb 12, 2013.

1. BBassett

BBassett New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Contemplating chickens in my backyard for the very first time and not a 100% sure yet because of the following reasons.
    Due to restrictions on building too close to our wetland setbacks we will be forced to build the coop and run in an area with lots of tree roots and with a good chance of not being able to get down the 1 to 2 feet recommend to bury the run fencing.
    There is a good amount of wildlife in our backyard that just love chickens. Would we then just have the bottom fencing on ground level and build up with pine shavings?
    The other issue I need to think about is the fact that I have some real nice lily, grass and perennial gardens,covered with black mulch and I would like to keep them that way. For that reason I would like to get the chickens out of their run for a couple of hours each day to roam around and get them back into the run at dusk.
    I am interested in getting some Frizzles, Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex, Australorps and or Marans and have not made up a definite decision on either ones of these breeds but I love the Frizzles although I can only get them in a straight run and they are not the best egg layers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] You can have a look here for ideas on chicken coops and runs and how to make them safe:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

For more info on the breeds you mentioned and others you may not have considered look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

As for the chickens and your garden... Chickens like to scratch. And eat plants. And they are very good at both. Just saying [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. BBassett

BBassett New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Thank you Sumi,very much appreciated

4. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Check out the "Social" forum, 'Where am I? Where are you!", and locate the NH, Mass, Vt, etc threads. Perhaps someone local can help you locate some good birds. Good luck.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you've joined us.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BBassett, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Listen to Sumi's advice - she knows her stuff. Good luck to you!

9. BBassett

BBassett New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Thank you all; I. feel at home!!!!!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by