1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from Maryland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Orpington1, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Orpington1

Orpington1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Columbia, Maryland
    Hello from Maryland! I am a full-time professional woman and mother of two grown children; I’m happily married, and ready for the Backyard Chicken life. I’ve read everything I can get my hands on about backyard chicken keeping and am ready for the test!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, I consider myself new to chickens since my only previous experiences were as a teen – many moons ago - gathering eggs and getting attacked by a rooster. Explaining to non-chicken people that roosters attack by flying backwards and punching with their legs “…and it HURTS!!” always resulted in peals of laughter. I’m happy to finally talk to people that won’t laugh at me!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I am currently the proud owner of: 1 Buff Orpington, 2 Plymouth Rocks, and 2 Golden Comets.
    Here they are upon arrival, two days old from MyPetChicken.com.

[​IMG]

They are almost 4 weeks old now and doing well, but the fuzz is flying! They are getting big girl feathers, LOVE scrambled eggs, and are sick and tired of life in a plastic tub.

[​IMG]

It’s still too cold in Maryland for them to move to the coop, though – not to mention the fact that the coop doesn’t have a door yet (people door), but I’m working on that, see below.

(3) What breeds do you have? See above

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Just doing an internet search for information on chickens – it always pops up!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

My only hobby right now is building a coop! Or a ‘sedan’ as my hubby likes to call it since it has 4 doors, not 2 (HA! He likes to tell this joke several times a week [​IMG]). I’ve had a great time with my project and am very pleased with the results so far. Gotta get those doors done, though.

[​IMG]

I used Building Chicken Coops for Dummies (great book!!) and modified the plans to include more windows (and used windows) and a poop door. I also divided it into two rooms: the near side is chicken coop and the far side is shed space. My only worry is that five chickens won’t heat it up enough in the winter. My husband got me a remote temperature monitor for Christmas, so at least I can keep track from the house next fall as the temperature drops and take action as needed.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

In my past life I was a horse person and hope to get back there someday as my income and free time increase (HA!). But in the meantime, I’m sure my ‘girls’ will keep me busy and happy, along with my dog, hubby, vegetable gardening (and composting!), reading, playing board games, working for the Federal government, dog-walking/–playing/-scratching, and exercising.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to be part of this great community. Chicken-people Rock!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard Chickens, welcome to the flock 300,000 + and growing

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with your chicks! You have some nice breeds. [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

Your chicks are very cute! I hope they turn into wonderful, productive laying hens for you.[​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Lovely coop you have started!

1 person likes this.
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. You have some adorable chicks. Thanks for posting the pics. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Wow! I love your coop and your chicks are adorable!

1 person likes this.
  10. Orpington1

Orpington1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Columbia, Maryland
    Thanks, Everyone, for the warm welcomes!

I've been dealing with some constipation issues (one of my chicks is, to be more specific [​IMG]), and from reading several forums, I fed them chick starter mixed with EVOO (Olive Oil for non-Rachel Ray fans), water, and Greek yogurt. I didn't expect them to eat it - they've been surprisingly picky with their treats (won't touch fruit or veggies, and so far only eat dried mealworms and scrambled eggs). But they went nuts! I'm hoping that will help.

Any advice on how often I should do this? That is, I can't imagine making this concoction every night for their dinner and I don't want to leave leftovers since it will spoil, right?

Another question has to do with grit for chicks: I've read that chicks don't need grit if they only get starter feed, but with the constipation, I've been supplementing with other foods. A few weeks ago, I put a tray of play sand mixed with DE in the brooder that I read was good for dust baths, but they don't bathe in it, they just eat it. I'm assuming they want the grit. But just now, I read on one forum that you should NEVER use play sand as grit with no reason why, so I'm wondering what that's about. I put regular dirt with DE in their brooder last night and they LOVE scratching and picking in it. Again, I've read that just plain dirt is fine and other say you should only use 'chick grit' (haven't seen this in my local Southern States store).

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the advice and opinions on here. Any advice on sifting through all the info to find a group of people to rely on? Or is it best just to start a new string in the appropriate forum and hope for the best?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by