Newbie from MD!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jbrianchamberli, Apr 15, 2017.

1. jbrianchamberli

jbrianchamberli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    After thinking about it for the last 3 years, my 6 year old and I headed out yesterday morning and came home with 6 chicks. We got two Buff Opringtons, two black Australorps, and a barred rock.

Right now they're in the living room in a large fish tank with heat lamp and they seem to be doing really good. Tomorrow I build the long term brooder and then begin the coop this week.

Should be a lot of fun. My other kids are older but the 6 year old is all into the chickens. He's deaf so it will be a fun project to keep him busy around the house.

Thanks to those I've already talked to. I'm sure I'll be around a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Congratulations and welcome to a wonderful hobby. Chickens can be addictive. You got yourselves some nice breeds.

3. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Denver, NC
    Congrats on your new chicks. Just make sure your fish tank has a cool side, until you get your brooder done. Ever since I used the MHP, I'll never use a heat lamp again, in a brooder. It's so much easier regulating for their warmth and they get used to day and night time from the start. Just my .02

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  4. jbrianchamberli

jbrianchamberli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    MHP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Denver, NC
    Momma Heat Pad, there's a whole thread on it. It's the home made version of what your using.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by