1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from Mid-Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Barz51, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Barz51

Barz51 New Egg

Mar 13, 2011
    Hello All, this looks like a great spot for information and I'm glad I stumbled across it. Well then, on with the questions:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I'm just about as new as you can get to chickens. When I was young my grandparents had a farm were they had scaled down from a full livestock farm to just crops. The only remainder, beside a few old barn cats, was a 60 year old coup. One of the first memories I have was of a little black chick amongst dozens of the yellow chicks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Zero but we're preparing for 4-6'ish

(3) What breeds do you have?
    That's part of the reason I'm here; looking for the right breed for our family.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I actually Googled "back yard chickens" with out knowing about the site and it was the first result!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I'm in to old cars, motorcycles, hot rods, kustoms, hunting, fishing, reading, writing, old buildings, old maps, old books, and the list goes on...
    (6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    My wife a April, my son Max, and I (Cory) live just North of Lansing Michigan and are preparing to start up our first flock. We are interested in a small flock of chickens for eggs.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi, glad you joined us!

3. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hello from Indiana hope you came to the right place to learn about chickens! [​IMG]

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

5. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    Welcome. Im about an hour east of you . Montrose MI. Im fairly new to chickens. Almost a year. Ive got a flock of 10 9 layers & one rooster. Ive done 2 batches of meat chickens 1 cornish X & 1 batch of freedom rangers. Next batch will be cornish X. Just faster & cheaper. With 9 layers I supply my family of 5 , My neighbors, & my fire station with eggs. Ive got 7 Isa browns & 2 mutt layers. I dont wannna say chickens are a no brainer, but they,re not all that hard. Good luck & enjoy

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    [​IMG]

I live about 1 hour north of Bay City.

There are a lot of good family breeds out there: Plymouth Rocks, Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Easter Eggers and Faverolles are all fairly common good starter breeds that are laid back and cold hardy.

4-6 chickens is a good number to start with, but you'll hear the term "chicken math" on here quite frequently.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Imp

8. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Welcome! I'm about....oh, half an hour east of you, south of Owosso a bit.

This place is great - lots of good information!

I have a mixed flock of 12 hens and two roosters, and a dozen week old meat chicks [​IMG] We just booted the meat chicks into their new digs in the coop today [​IMG]

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by