1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from Middle TN!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ZoHo, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ZoHo

ZoHo New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    So, I went to Rural King today to return a drill bit, and walked out with two chicks. One's a black one that I think said "Australorp" on the sign (but it could have been another "A" word), and the other is a chipmunk-striped chick that I can't remember because I was in such an excited state I didn't really pay attention.

I have never raised chicks before. I once had these two small Japanese hens, that I got as adults years ago, but my friend neglected to put them up at night while I was out of town, and they became dinner for some lucky coyote. This time, I will make sure that doesn't happen, of course.

What have I gotten myself into? Aside from my already over-ambitious garden plans this year (seriously, y'all have no idea), I now have to build a coop when I didn't even plan to have chickens in the first place. I have to figure out a way to keep my dogs from messing with them when the chicks are grown and ready to go outside. Currently they're isolated in a room with a closed door - to keep both dogs and both cats (and my 3 year old daughter) away from them. I still have to get a container large enough to accommodate them in the next couple of weeks as they grow. *gulp*

I'm nervous but I'm being reassured that chickens aren't as hard as I think to care for. I'm mostly nervous because I live in a residential neighborhood, and even though I do have a fenced in yard, it's only chain link and therefore probably not tall enough to keep them in. I want so badly for this to work and for us to have fresh eggs. If it doesn't work, though, I know that I could find them a new home around here in no time at all.

I'm starting to feel overwhelmed and so I came here in hopes that I can learn quickly.

*deep breath*

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Okay, slow deep breaths - in through the nose out through the mouth. You'll be okay in no time.

The Learning center is a great place to start. Also read about raising chicks.

How old are your chicks?. After hatching they are usually kept in a brooder with a heat lamp, so the temperature at one side of the box will be 95 degrees. Each week lower it by 5 degrees. When they are fully feathered out - they can go to an outdoor coop and get acclimated to the climate.

4. ZoHo

ZoHo New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    The man at the store was very helpful, I picked up a lamp and feed and set up a place for them as soon as I got home. I got my thermometer in there and I'm monitoring the temps - I hope I have what they need right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You will be fine. It is normal to be a nervous momma at first. LOL And that is why BYC is here!! To help you get thru all those new baby nerves.

Oh and definitely check out the link that Kelsie has included and you will also want to stop by the learning center as well for lots of good tips...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

7. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    [​IMG]
    Great to have you join.

Chicks are so addicting. Careful if you go back to Rural King any time soon (or Tractor Supply), you may walk out with more. lol

8. ZoHo

ZoHo New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Thank you all :)

9. ZoHo

ZoHo New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Oh, I remember now what my other chicken is, Americauna! Is it good to have different breeds together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by