Newbie from MO

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jeanne25, Apr 27, 2011.

1. jeanne25

jeanne25 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Hi all!
    I'm new to chickens too! I've been lurking and reading in BYC. What a great site. I've learned a lot. My husband and I just got 8 new little chicks, about 5-6 weeks old. I ordered a coop online, supposedly for 6-8 chickens. When it arrived and we put it together, it is way too small for 8 chickens. It's also not very functional. I have to get down on my hands and knees to get the waterer and feeder out to fill. I wish I had found this site before I ordered the coop!! Oh well [​IMG] Live and learn!!
    We have looked at almost every one of the small and medium coops on BYC and are building our version of a coop using a little of this and a little of that!
    My question is that most of the pictures look like the ground is covered with gravel and then topped with sand. It looks clean and tidy and easy to rake clean. My husband is afraid that the gravel/sand will harbor bacteria and not be easy to keep clean. He wants to build a moveable run that will attach to one side of the coop, and then when the chickens have picked it bare, we'd move it to the other side. I'm afraid it will become a muddy mess.
    I'd like to build the coop and run all in one, stationary, with the gravel/sand floor, and let the chickens out into the yard to pick and roam.
    Any opinions, suggestions, warnings??
    Thanks for any advice you can give us.
    jeanne

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG] from Virginia!

You also might want to check out this thread about Sand in the coop and run to see what would work in your situation.

Hope that helps!

[​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I recently added 1.5 cubic yard of sand in my pen...wished I'd done it years ago. It absorbs rainwater... no more gullies and washouts, keeps the fly population down to a bare minimum and it's much easier to keep clean. No gravel though, IMO it could cause foot/leg problems or injuries especially if a rooster is chasing a hen around in the pen.

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Hello and welcome from Oregon!!

6. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    Hello and welcome from Branson (wet) Missouri.

Donna

7. ~*MissouriSweetpea*~

~*MissouriSweetpea*~ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Hi from MO!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

9. white01