Newbie from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mprivett, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    Hello everyone! I'm very new to chickens (just got my first flock about a week ago) and live in rural Chatham County, NC. I've enjoyed reading the posts on this forum and have learned so much from BYC!

We have 4 Dominiques (3 pullets, 1 cockerel) that are doing well--went up the ramp and into their new coop for bedtime all by themsleves the very first night we had them! With patience and persistence I finally got them to eat out of my hand but they are still very much afraid of me--they won't willingly let me pet or hold them yet. They are about 13 wks old now I think and were raised by their mama hen. We were told to keep them in their run for 3-4 weeks before letting them free range, but this morning I heard a loud "bawk" and before I knew it our rooster escaped (sneaky little thing) while I was changing their food and water. It took some time before my husband and I could chase him back into the pen! I can't believe how entertaining they are to watch--loving my little ones [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If they go back in to roost on their own, I think they feel at home. Freerange away!! [​IMG]

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    [​IMG]

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from south carolina/fla [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps