Newbie from NC.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Noggin, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Noggin

Noggin New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Greensboro, NC
    Hello my name is Keith and I'm from Greensboro. I'm still in the construction stage of my tractor so I don't have any girls yet. What a wonderful site this is a lot of knowledgeable people here. a couple of question's I do have is when letting your girls free range around the yard do you worry about hawks flying down and snagging one if your outside with them? Has anyone had this happen to them before? I have seen and heard them flying around our neighborhood before. I'm still up in the air on what type of hens I should get some type of Bantam(?). When it is time to buy how would I know if the hens have slowed down or stopped laying eggs? I'm not looking for chicks to start out with. Thanks I'm sure I will have more questions to post in the future.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Yes Hawks will snatch up your hens if given the chance.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Yes, hawks can be a problem. I've lost a chicken to a hawk and I know people who lost many. It would help if your chickens have somewhere to shelter, like a tree. A big concern for me was also predators on the ground, like dogs, cats and mongoose. Good fences is important.
    If you don't want to raise chicks you should look for POL (point of lay, usually 16 week old) pullets, though they can be expensive, you'll get eggs sooner. I think getting specific breeds may be difficult then. Once you've made your selection have a look in the Buy~Sell~Trade section here to see what's for sale and where. Also have a look at these reviews: Chicken Breeds to see what the members say about their chickens and the different breeds.

6. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

8. amy008

amy008 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    nj
    [​IMG]Welcome! Another good tip is to choose breeds that blend into your surroundings. Obviously white would stick out on a lawn more then brown and black chickens can blend in and hide from predators.

9. NCGrammie

NCGrammie What's Cluckin'?!

Mar 14, 2012
    Pinnacle, NC
    :welcome Welcome, it's so nice to meet you! I'm from Winston Salem/Lexington NC myself and this year started raising chickens and well...:jumpy chicken math took over and the addiction began! :lau I hope you enjoy it as much as I do here...I have met many wonderful friends and learned SOOOO much from many of the pros. Jump right on in, you will feel right at home in no time! :caf

P.S. If you are available you should check out Chickenstock this Sat. On the 22nd in Lincolnton. There will be a huge variety of chickens there as well as raffle drawings, eats & drinks! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/695775/carolina-chickenstock-fall-2012

10. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Some people do let their chickens free range with supervision, but then again the hawks are always looking for an opportunity. So best be careful if you do!

You can usually buy what they call "point of lay" hens at the feed stores. You can be sure they'll be laying.
    The main thing is age really.

I hope you find any info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by