Newbie from NE Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 5littlechicks, Jul 30, 2011.

1. 5littlechicks

5littlechicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Hi from NE Florida! We are on our way to raising chickens. Hubby drew up the plans for a coop and bought the needed materials today. He was going to work on building it but the heat is oppressive right now. We are still researching what breeds we want. I would like 1 or 2 that lay the colorful eggs but we will see. We will probably start out with 6-8 and then decide from there.

We are a homeschooling family of 7, 5 daughters ages 16-6, and built a house on 5 acres of land a year ago. One of our goals in moving here was to get chickens so we can have fresh eggs. We would also like to sell them to friends. We also have about 3.5 acres of wild blackberries that we are trying to start a business with. The drought this year didn't make for a very long picking season. The only other animals we have right now is a 9 y.o. beagle and 16 y.o. cat. Rabbits and maybe goats will be added down the road. Found this site through research on the internet so I look forward to learning all I can from here.

June

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello and welcome to BYC![​IMG] Easter eggers sold as Americana's lay blue or green eggs. They are pretty friendly as well. If you handle chicks daily from when they are young, they grow to be very friendly chickens. I have 8 lap chickens and they all fight for their favorite spot on my lap.[​IMG] Good luck starting your flock. We actually bought our chicks before we built the coop.[​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from the great state of Kansas! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    [​IMG] from alabamayardbird

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps