Newbie from new hampshire

jodoe10255

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
central new hampshire
hi folks.. finally took the plunge after many years of 'wanting' to and i found this site and i'm happy to find all the information so readily available. any other new englanders who could offer their advice about when to put birds out for the night? our temps have only been in the upper 30's overnights and i do know that's not warm enough but brings to mind another question, how on earth are they going to be warm enough in the winter? Thanks.

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

You can start by checking out the "Where am I Where are You" section of the forums and search for your state's thread. You can talk to other folks in New Hampshire there about all sorts of things. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

So glad to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
Greetings from Kansas, jodoe10255, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you aboard! Chickens are very resilient. Heat is almost always more of an issue than cold. A draft free (yet ventilated) coop is pretty much all they need. Mother Nature gave them all those downy feathers for a reason. Good luck to you and your flock!

Fierlin1182

powered-flight
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Hi and :welcome

If they're adult birds, they can go outside now. They have pretty good defences against the cold, as long as they can stay dry and away from the wind. There've been plenty of people here who tell stories of their chickens having fun in the snow. :p
If your birds are younger, they should be fine outside from about two months old or maybe a little less.

Last edited:

jodoe10255

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
central new hampshire
Redsox, i was thinking the opposite, that the cold would bother them more than heat. That's good to know as i was likening them more to myself and given that i'm cold when the temp goes below 75, well, you get the drift! I have 6 chicks, 2 black giants, 2 red sex link and 2 bantams. i also have 2 blue swede ducks. its an everyday learning process with them all and they are pretty good teachers. Thank you again.

rekkas peeps

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 23, 2012
Goffstown NH
welcome to the club!!!!!! we put our little ones out a few weeks ago and the are doing well. pretty soon they will be mixed into our existing flock.. where in Central NH are you?

Top Bottom