1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from New Jersey needs advise

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by toddyboy, Feb 12, 2016.

1. toddyboy

toddyboy New Egg

Jan 8, 2016
    New Jersey
    Hi I'm Todd I'm very new to raising chickens. I have 4 hens and 1 rooster all Rhode Island reds. I've had them for about 2 months. 2 of my hens and my rooster have their feathers ripped out on theirs backs the worst one is about the size of an apple. I don't kno if they are sick or what any advise? Also the hens haven't layed eggs yet not sure if they are too young or what. I kno the rooster is young because he is just starting to cock-a-doodle-doo and isn't very good at it yet lol also there are little nubs where his talons should be. I think the hens and him are about the same age. They all look full grown size tho so I don't know lol any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Todd, welcome to BYC. It sounds as if one or more of your birds are feather plucking/eating. They will do this sometimes out of boredom when confined. If they start drawing blood you may need to outfit them with Pin Less Peepers.

3. toddyboy

toddyboy New Egg

Jan 8, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thank you!! I kept them in a run and house for the first month so they would know that's where they live. now I let them out all day so maybe it will stop?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like your cockerel is just 'coming of age'...can be a rough time for both pullets and keeper.
    His 'talons'...actually called spurs, won't get bigger until he gets older.
    Here's glossary of terms that you might find interesting:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...of-common-terms-for-raising-backyard-chickens

How big is their coop(feet by feet)? Crowding stress can cause feather picking.
    What exactly are you feeding? Feather picking/eating can be caused by lack of protein.

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Todd and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice from experienced members, so I'll just say a big hello and hope that all goes well.

Cheers
    CT

6. toddyboy

toddyboy New Egg

Jan 8, 2016
    New Jersey

The run is about 4by5 the house is 4.5 by 4.5 2 levels I'm letting them out to free range every morning. I'm feeding them organic egg layer pellets and a corn scratch

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by