Newbie from north of New Orleans

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tchefunky Chick, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Tchefunky Chick

Tchefunky Chick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Hi everyone. I can't wait to "meet" your birds. I am from Colombia originally, and speak Spanish (in case there are any other Spanish folk out there on BYC).

I was new to chickens 2 years ago when a friend introduced my husband and I to this amazing world. Now we have a 40 colorful chickens, 4 roosters, 14 lavender guineas and counting... Also, we have 9 ducks that claim our pond as their home. It attracts other birds, like a mated pair of Canada geese that returned this month for the 3rd year. They have raised 4 young goslings here to our enjoyment!

Our friend now lives with us, and shares his love of all feathered fowl. That's how I came to join BYC - he encouraged me to connect with others to learn more. I am interested in purchasing another incubator and hatching out all sorts feathered critters.

I love to cook and have made guinea gumbo several times. Deviled eggs are a favorite here on our homestead, and we recently tried several duck recipes that were amazing.

We have a large fenced yard for our 3 rescued dogs. Our friend has 2 large dogs. Coyotes
    are our principal threat, along with stray dogs and hawks.

My primary occupation now is elder caregiver. The Husband and I are blessed to have both of our parents, and they live nearby. So, we share with them our experiences with the birds, and eggs. They are supportive of our bird venture, and enjoy watching as the birds forage and interact.

I am interested in meeting other bird enthusiasts in the South. There may be common ground related to weather, pests, adaptable breeds, etc. that we can discuss.

I look forward to hearing from y'all.:caf

1 person likes this.
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC! The Learning Centre is a great place to start off as it has loads of info on anything chicken - even if you have lost of experience in keeping chickens. Joining your state thread (just type your state in the search box) will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area.

All the best
    CT

3. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

What a nice introduction! Thanks for sharing your story with us, it sounds like you have a wonderful flock. Make yourself at home here and if you have questions, feel free to ask (and to give answers/experiences).

It's nice to have you here!

4. Tchefunky Chick

Dec 29, 2015
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Thank you, CT. I appreciate your welcome and will go find my local chicken friends. But what excites me most is to see a welcome from you, my new neighbor in Kenya. :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Tchefunky Chick

Dec 29, 2015
    Southeastern Louisiana

Thank you NorthFLChick. You are so kind.
    And I love your avatar. Blessings to you and your flock.

7. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You're very welcome! You're going to meet some of the nicest people here.

And thanks for the avatar comment...I like to change it frequently so you might not always recognize my "face" but I'll be around!

8. Tchefunky Chick

Dec 29, 2015
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Thanks BigTimeChicken Guy.
    You have quite an eye for photographing your birds. It inspires me to pay more attention to the beauty of the flock.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like you have several wonderful flocks, family flock, friends flock, and fowl flock. We would love to see pictures of your family, friends, birds and anything else you would like to show us. Very glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

10. Mommahen4

Mommahen4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2015
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Hi the city came yesterday and told us we have to rehome our little silkie roo Nugget! They suggested the city park but i am nervous about predators. We just saved him from a opossums a week ago that ripped out his tail feathers! We are very upset and would like for him to a least go to someone who has silkies already. We are located in kenner La but are willing to meet pretty much anywhere. PLEASE HELP!! ive added a pic of him!! Hes such a sweet little guy!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by