Newbie from North Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rdelozier, Mar 9, 2015.

1. rdelozier

rdelozier New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Hi - my name is Robyn and I live just east of Dallas. I am so new to chickens that I don't have mine yet! I have been reading and contemplating getting some for almost a year now. I will be getting my baby chicks in the next 2 weeks and have been busy reading all I can so I will be prepared. I have the book "Raising Chickens for Dummies" and have been reading a ton of stuff on this website. Just joined officially today and can't wait to get help from all of your expertise!

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your soon to be new chicks!

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Robyn. Glad you decided join to our flock. Where east of Dallas do you live? My wife and I were both raised east of Dallas (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. hat kind of chicks are you getting?

6. rdelozier

rdelozier New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Michael - we live in Rowlett. I hate to admit that I have not completely decided.....the place I'm buying them told me they ordered Rhode Island Reds, Americanas, Barred Rock and Marans. I want good egg layers. What kind do ya'll recommend?

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your located right off of Lake Ray Hubbard. I've fished there a few times over the years. Be aware that the Ameraucanas they are selling are not true Ameraucanas which are only available from breeders or Meyer Hatchery, but are actually Easter Eggers, which are hybrids bred to lay eggs in a variety of colors, and which will not breed true. I've had all of those breeds at one time or another over the past 50 years, and of the breeds on your list, I personally would go with the Barred Rocks, which are a very rugged, hardy breed, and probably the most docile breed on your list. Rhode Island Reds will slightly outlay them, but the RIRs are sometimes aggressive (especially the roosters), and in my experience, Barred Rocks tend to have a longer laying life. This is especially true if the RIRs they ordered are actually Production Reds (which is usually the case). For sheer egg production, my actual recommendation would be Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years, and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 egg per hen per year. Your local feed store or tractor supply can probably order them for you, but if not, every major hatchery breeds them. Whatever breed you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  8. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Welcome to the forum.....[​IMG].....sounds like a good mixture of birds.....~Charm

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Robyn, welcome to the Backyard chickens community. I would go for Marans and Barred rocks but, it doesn't mean you need to. They are so many choices, maybe you have other places that sell near you. If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum, you can locate and post on your state thread. Texas is so large, it may have sections for Dallas, etc. You could ask what is around, and what breeds seem to tolerate Texas the best. Are you looking for pets/occasional eggs, or mainly for egg layers or meat birds?

10. rdelozier

rdelozier New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Drumstick Diva - I'm looking for mainly egg layers. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have been a little worried about our Texas summers....it gets so hot and I want to get something that will tolerate the heat well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by