Newbie from Northeast Ohio

smwtch

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Kirtland, Ohio
Hello all! I am very excited to be a part of the BYC Community!
I am a newbie to having chickens of my own...my mom had ducks and geese growing up, and I have "chicken sat" for friends while they were away on vacation. I am thrilled to have my own girls now.
I found BYC researching "everything chicken" in books and the internet. BYC is the place to be!
I started looking at the coops to get ideas and it took off from there. My coop is almost finished (just needs painting) . I hope to send pictures to share soon.
My girls arrived July 29. Ive got 2 of each...Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and Golden Laced Wyandotte. All happy and healthy!
My first question is how soon does a rooster chick start behaving like a rooster?
One of my Buffs is always peeping and is constantly trying to climb on top of the other chicks. I ordered all female to be sure to not get a rooster, but I think I may have one. (It is also the smallest chick of the group)
Thanks for all the help and advice!

Greetings from Kansas, smwtch, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! I think it is tough to tell - behaviorally or visually - since your chicks are under a week old. The more active behavior doesn't necessarily indicate rooster. You might want to post some pics in a couple weeks in the thread below - might have a better idea then. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

welcome-byc.gif
Are the bigger chicks picking on the small, cheeping, climber? Is it being bossed away from the food and water? Sounds like it is frustrated trying to find a place for himself.

Thanks for the info. You had it right. The others were not letting it eat or drink. I was up most of the night trying to get the chick to eat and drink too build up its strength. It was just too weak and I lost it. Very sad to lose one. All the others are doing well so will focus on the positive. Thanks again, Drumstick Diva...I love your picture!

Back
Top Bottom