Newbie from Northeast PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rae7285, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Rae7285

Rae7285 New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    Hi! My name is Rachel. My husband and I recently purchased some baby chicks. Having switched to Paleo diet recently with a autoimmune disorder and learning about proper nutrition, we decided to raise our own chickens for eggs.

Having doe some preliminary research over the past 3 months, I think I'm in love with the Wyandottes. All colors. They just speak to me but we bought an array to get started: Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire, Rocks, Orpingtons, Wyandottes and I think Silkies. All but the Silkies came from McMurray's. I really like the Faverolle Roosters also, I'd like one of those.

We have a hobby wood shop so we are in the process of finishing the coop and the starting the run for when they are not free in the yard.

Looking for advice and tips on all sorts of Chicken related issues! Thanks for having us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Hey, Rae7285, [​IMG]! Glad you could join! That looks like a good coop. Just so you know, silkies will go broody a lot, or if you don't know the term, they will hatch their eggs out a lot if you don't stop them. Have fun!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Rachel

Glad you could join us here! What a fabulous coop you have there! I have to say I'm quite envious! Our learning Center has some great articles and would be the go to place for lots of tips and advice ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy your new babies and be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Rachel [​IMG] Welcome & Congratulations!

I love your coop .. great job!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Welcome to BYC

What a great looking coop you have been building. I see a few members already gave you a few links to places here on the forum so I will just wish you all the luck in the world with your new flock.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by