1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from nw Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickman70, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Natibrati1

Natibrati1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    I have a bantam cochin and im 10 years old and I hold him all the time and hill put his head on your shoulder its cute

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Randy, welcome to BYC.

3. Natibrati1

Natibrati1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    hi im a lovely cochin[​IMG]

4. chickman70

chickman70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are my new chicks!! The kids love em all ready... I'll post more later!

5. Hi,
    Where in NWIndiana are you? Trying to find more local chicken enthusiasts.
    I have two Barred Rocks and two Buff Orpingtons that I raised from chicks, born May 12th.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I have both breeds and with kids, I'd go with the Barred Rock. The RIRs will slightly outlay them, but they are sometimes aggressive (especially the roosters). I have had a couple of aggressive Barred Rocks in 50 years of raising chickens, but they are normally a very docile breed, and those two were definitely the exception, not the rule. Some other breeds you might want to consider that are extremely friendly and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets out of them), and very good layers too are Black Australorps (excellent layers), Buff Orpingtons, Cochins, Sussex, and Brahmas.

7. chickman70

chickman70 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014

Hi, I'm in crown point. So far things are going well with my 2. Now I want more next spring. I built a cheap pallet/ wire coup for now and the girls
    Are loving it. I hope to get eggs in the next month or so... I'm currently working on Winterizing and heating the coup for winter, were gonna get another bad winter from what I'm hearing so I'm trying to prepare for the worst.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by