Newbie from Ohio, soon to be transplanted to Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TeresasDream, Jan 6, 2019.

1. TeresasDream

TeresasDream Chirping

Jan 6, 2019
    Well, about me: I am 51 and starting life over. I currently live in Ohio but I will be moving to Virginia once my youngest child graduates high school in 891 days give or take (not that I'm excited or counting or anything). I have a place in VA lined up, paid for, and being watched over / lived in by my oldest daughter and my two grandsons. The place in VA is where my parents were born and raised and my mother has 7 of 8 brothers and sisters still in the area, along with all the associated cousins, and their kids, there is a LOT of family support there.

Now to the chickens! I've always wanted them... so much so that not only do my daughter and grandsons live in VA, but so does my flock since I can't have them in the city where I live. They're Araucanas and I live for my vacations so I can see my kid, the little kiddos, and my girls. We started out with 11. Had them even before we had a coop! Unfortunately, we've had a few losses in that time. There was one who became egg bound. One dropped over out of the blue. One injured by my Dad who tried to move their enclosure without asking for help, and her leg was too far injured for her not to suffer. The last was taken by a predator. Otherwise I have found my flock to be incredibly healthy and resilient. They free range most of the day, and go into their coop voluntarily just before dusk. They're going on 4 years old now. They still produce enough for our needs, and even if they didn't, they are funny lawn ornaments, and we love them. I hope I can find a nice gentle Roo to breed with them before their laying days are over.

They run to my Mom and I whenever we are there (we're the extra treat ladies). Last year my Mom fell and broke her wrist out in the yard, and the first responders were all the ladies!!! When we got back home, she sat on the deck, and they all gathered around her. Before that, and after, they never go on the deck.

So that's about it. Thanks for your time.

2. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Awesome intro & Welcome to BYC!

You’ve certainly come to the right place for all things poultry! :wee

We’re all so happy you’ve decided to join the BYC flock!

BYC is filled with plenty of poultry peeps waiting to help & have fun!

Here’s hoping find this website to be most helpful!! :wee :welcome :ya

-Kayla

3. TeresasDream

TeresasDream Chirping

Jan 6, 2019
    Thank You!!

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Hello! :frow What a great intro! Who would have thought that chickens would qualify as first responders?!!

Welcome to our FUNomenal community! Best wishes and have lots of fun!

5. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Welcome to byc :frow :welcome
    CBEA06A8-AC01-4FEC-9A03-4CEC9413B7D1.jpeg 4ADBCFA2-F5D3-4DB2-8CFA-65B25341DF68.jpeg

6. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
  7. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Blue buff columbian :)

8. TeresasDream

TeresasDream Chirping

Jan 6, 2019
    Thank you! And yes, whoda thunk it?! But there they were, all crowded around Mom like they were trying to help one of their own!

9. Suzi18

Suzi18 Crossing the Road

Apr 4, 2017
    Sandusky Ohio
    Welcome from another Ohioan

10. TeresasDream

TeresasDream Chirping

Jan 6, 2019
    Thank You! Those are some beautiful birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: