1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from Ohio!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Crazy4Chicks10, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Crazy4Chicks10

Crazy4Chicks10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Ohio
    Hi everyone! I am an avid animal lover and this year decided that I wanted to get chickens. I have never had chickens before and am very excited and have tons of questions! I had planned on just getting 6 chicks from Rural King to start out with this year, but I ended up leaving with 7 because I wanted one of each breed lol. Then I met a lady online that was selling lavender Orpingtons and just had to have one.... well ended up leaving her house with 3 more than planned! So now I have 11 chicks in total of all different breeds and they are so fascinating. I am looking forward to meeting new people and learning more about chickens!

2. Ourpeeps123

Ourpeeps123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

3. Crazy4Chicks10

Apr 20, 2016
    Ohio
    Thanks!

4. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

@Crazy4Chicks10

:welcome

It's always great to see another Ohioan join. :D

And what you are talking about, chicken owners lovingly refer to as 'chicken math'!!! It's a real thing! :lau

5. Crazy4Chicks10

Apr 20, 2016
    Ohio
    Well I just had to look it up and that is so hilarious and true! Haha! We were looking at all the tubs of chicks and the lady kept saying look at this one and look at this one. I wanted them all!

6. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

Omgosh, it is sooo true! Trust me on this. I am very new to chickens. My oldest group will be 8 weeks on this coming Monday, so they're 7 1/2 weeks. I also have a group that's 5 1/2 weeks and another group that is 2 1/2 weeks. :D I have 32 total! I started with 6 layers and 6 meat chickens. hahaha! So yeah, truly, it doesn't take long.

I did tons of research on different breeds... to see what ones were good layers and had really nice dispositions... and also which ones were pretty and fit those criteria as well.

I would LOVE to have Lavendar Orpingtons. <3 I have 12 Buff Os. They are my youngest group.

7. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl &lt;3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Good luck with your chicks. When they are 6-8 weeks old, post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Crazy4Chicks10

Apr 20, 2016
    Ohio
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by