Newbie from Olmito Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gatordog, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Gatordog

Gatordog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Hello ever body. I should finish my chicken Coop this weekend. Just need to finish screening with hardware cloth and cement the hardware cloth in the ditch around the parameter. I live in deep South Texas, where Texas meets Mexico and the Gulf, so it is usually very Hot here. Thus the subject of my question is, what is the preferred breed to get for my hot climate. I would like a Dual purpose bird like to get some Plymouth Rocks, but is a breed that was developed in a Hotter climate better and if so what is the breed and where to get the babies.

My coop base is 6 foot by 5 foot, with a 6 foot by 8 foot run attached to the coop, and I have 3 inside roosting boxes and 1 outside roosting platform. the coop is 3 feet off the ground so the outside run is actually 11 by 6.

2. epignosisjs

epignosisjs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. rival001

rival001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    ca
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello from Indiana

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. I know what you mean about heat & humidity, it's been in the low 100s here this weekend. No matter which breed you choose there are some things you can do to help with the heat: freeze jugs of water so they can lay next to them, using misters, giving them chilled or frozen fruits like watermelon, berries, etc, putting ice in their waterers, wetting down their run, putting up tarps or shade cloth on the sides and/or top of their run to create shade, & turning a garbage can on its side & putting a frozen jug in it to create a cool place for them to rest. Those are just a few things, if you do a search on here you can find plenty more.
    Good luck [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, La.

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome from Austin. I was told that Australorps do well in the Texas heat; the one I got is just a chick so we won't find out for a while. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by