Newbie from Olmito Texas

Gatordog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Hello ever body. I should finish my chicken Coop this weekend. Just need to finish screening with hardware cloth and cement the hardware cloth in the ditch around the parameter. I live in deep South Texas, where Texas meets Mexico and the Gulf, so it is usually very Hot here. Thus the subject of my question is, what is the preferred breed to get for my hot climate. I would like a Dual purpose bird like to get some Plymouth Rocks, but is a breed that was developed in a Hotter climate better and if so what is the breed and where to get the babies.

My coop base is 6 foot by 5 foot, with a 6 foot by 8 foot run attached to the coop, and I have 3 inside roosting boxes and 1 outside roosting platform. the coop is 3 feet off the ground so the outside run is actually 11 by 6.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Good luck! This link will take you to BYC's chicken breed selection tool. You choose the parameters, it will tell you the breeds that best suit your needs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-search.php

Last edited:
frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. I know what you mean about heat & humidity, it's been in the low 100s here this weekend. No matter which breed you choose there are some things you can do to help with the heat: freeze jugs of water so they can lay next to them, using misters, giving them chilled or frozen fruits like watermelon, berries, etc, putting ice in their waterers, wetting down their run, putting up tarps or shade cloth on the sides and/or top of their run to create shade, & turning a garbage can on its side & putting a frozen jug in it to create a cool place for them to rest. Those are just a few things, if you do a search on here you can find plenty more.
Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom