Newbie From PA

mruth551

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hi,

I just bought 6 guineas yesterday, first time owner, long time admirer. I plan on keeping them cooped up for 2 weeks. I put chicken wire across the opening so at least they can see grass and hopefully this will train them somewhat. This is a dumb question, will I need to clean the coop during those 2 weeks or just add more straw?

Depends on the size of the coop. How do you plan to keep them around after 2 weeks? If they are fully grown, I expect when you open the door that will be the last time you ever see them.

You got guineas?! (haha i never knew how to spell that until now) We're about to get those too! I would suggest adding new straw for a few days and then full out cleaning. But it all depends on the size of your coops. Unless they keep it fairly clean. Yeah I really want them because they eat TONS of bugs, and people always try to cut through our yard to get to Chickfila, but the Guineas will chase them off i hope haha.

Last edited:
Guineas are great to have around a farm. They are much more wide ranging than chickens, they will cover many acres of areas in a day and may or may not spend much time in your yard. They won't chase anyone away (you should get a goose to do that), but they will sound the alarm whenever anything unusual happens. Unfortunately, it's their definition of unusual, and that could be every time at car goes through the Chick-Fil-A drive thru.

It doesn't sound like you live in a very rural environment and that can be a problem for free-range guineas. I would recommend geese or ducks instead, especially muscovies.

Well luckily the Chickfila is not right behind my yard. It like a ten minute walk. And yes I do realize, sadly, that they won't chase anyone away haha but I hope they at least SCARE the teens away. Yea I've heard they roam freely, and don't worry our neighbors would actually like to have them on their property sometimes because they would eat the bugs. Thanks for the concern though :)

My coop is 6 x 8. I'll be sure to wave bye bye to them when I release them
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom