Newbie from Pennsylvania!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mollykell26, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Mollykell26

Mollykell26 New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Hey everyone! Just starting out with chickens, (haven't gotten any yet-still doing some research)
    I was thinking about getting a couple good egg layers that are good in a seasonal climate.
    Any suggestions? I do plan on building an enclosure for them, as well as letting them be "free roam" (I have a large fence enclosed area) Any advice in any aspect would be welcome!
    I own and work with parrots, so I'm not completely ignorant to the needs and general care of feathered friends, but I AM aware that chickens are a completely different animal haha.

Thanks guys! I look forward to hearing from you!!
    Love, Molly :)

2. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    1 person likes this.
  3. clucker49

clucker49 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    My wife is a stroke victim and she needed something to occupy her time so she had me build her a coop with a run and she loves it.we have 10 hens and getn average 8 eggs as of now.she sets in a wheel chair and watch her chickens.she has Rhode island reds and yellow buffs.also couple black sexlinks.I let them out in the eve about hour before sunset to free run and they go in the coop at the edge of dark.good luck with it.I think you would like it.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Molly

Glad you could join the flock! The learning centre is a great place to start for lots of info on keeping chickens. Lots of articles on housing, feeding and keeping your birds safe from predators https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck on your new chicken journey and hope you enjoy BYC. I am sure you will everyone here to help with any questions you may have and very friendly :frow

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello Molly, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Molly, glad you joined the BYC flock

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Molly. Glad you decided join our flock. If sheer egg production is your main priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds or hybrids you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by