Newbie from QLD Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Apocalypstick, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Apocalypstick

Apocalypstick Out Of The Brooder

Hello all!

I'm new to the site, and new to chickens. My name is Sarah, I'm 31, partnered to Jamie (33).
    We have two kids Tarquin (8) and Lilith (5).

We have 4 lovely chickens. I adopted them from Lilith's day care centre who had a hatchery set up a display so the kids could witness chickens hatching. We initially adopted 3, and then found out that the director had taken on another centres chickens so went back and got another one. They are about 13 weeks old today.

We have Doomageddon. We were told he was a Black Australorp but I'm just not sure because of his colouring. We've only just confirmed that he is indeed a Rooster, when he crowed for the first time yesterday morning! (They all slept in their box last night tightly covered and he didn't crow this morning)

[​IMG]

We also have Tortilla, hen (we think). We were told she would be a light sussex, but she's clearly not. Maybe a white Leghorn??

[​IMG]

The brown hen you see in the above photo is Tikka Masala, I can't remember what breed they said she was. A Hybrid one, she's really sweet. And the other black one is Guinness, hen, Black Australorp.

Here is a pic of our flock together! This pic was taken about 3/4 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Our chickens are all very friendly, completely free ranged (they used to put themselves away at night and up in the morning, until Doomy started crowing. Now we put them away at night, covered, and release first thing in the morning). They have been raised by hand since they were about 2 weeks old, when we adopted them from Day Care. My children love them, Lilith has a special affinity with animals and the chickens will regularly let her pet and cuddle them.

These are the first chickens we've ever owned and Jamie and I are both quite shocked at how attached we've become. We live in an urban area and under the by-laws we're not supposed to keep Doomageddon because of the noise :( We're trialing covering his coop at night and it worked last night so hopefully we can hold onto him a little longer.

We also have a fish: Master Spy Fish

[​IMG]

and a dog: Cesar (not sure on his breed... Staffy X Vizsla we were told).

[​IMG]

So that's our little family. We live in the Hervey Bay region of Queensland. We also grow some of our own vegies, and have a worm farm :D

Looking forward to getting stuck into the forums!!

x

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello Sarah. Welcome to BYC from Kentucky! Very nice images. Thanks for sharing and becoming a member of this wonderful community.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. Apocalypstick

Apocalypstick Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for your fast welcome!

I'm very excited to be part of such a great community.

x

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Hi Sarah What a nice flock. Doomagedon is handsome :love Cesar must have really soft fur. What a sweety. My Vizsla X is in my avatar (Tiger) [​IMG] O I love your BYC name also. :D

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Gray Court, South Carolina

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.