1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from Quebec

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jhotte, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Jhotte

Jhotte New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Outaouais, Quebec, Canada
    Hi there,

I was searching the web for ressources about raising hens and I'm pleased to find this forum.
    Here's my setup for now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a nice set up you have there! We have a coop and run contest running that you might like to check out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-and-run-page-contest-winter-spring-2016/0_30
    How to enter and create a coop page are all the first post. You may just need a few more posts before you can make a page but I'm sure once you have them you wil be good go.

Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Jhotte

Jhotte New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Thanks Yorkshire Coop for the greetings! I'll make sure to have enough posts to get into the contest.
    I'm into woodworking so I wanted to make a cute and useful coop that can be moved easily (have you notice the red skis under the coop [​IMG])

Recently, the town council of the big city that I live nex to (I live in the suburbs of it) opened discussions about letting people have laying hens (but no roosters) and I wanted to build something that makes relatives of me wanting to go in the adventure of raising hens.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, very nice coop and grounds! Your birds have a wonderful place to live and a great mommy! :)

Definitely create a coop page for the contest. I think it is 20 posts, and then you can enter your coop.

Great to have you aboard and we do welcome you to our roost! :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] That's a wonderful little coop you have there.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jhotte

Jhotte New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    The mommy is great with them! The mommy's responsible of the coop and I was in charge of all the building process [​IMG].

She's always taking care of them (days and nights). We have massive problems with raccoon and that's why I'm in the process of installing an electric fence to repel them. I can tell you that we don't have kids for now but it's like we have 4 of them for now. At every noise she hears at night I'm the one who gets out of bed in p-j and looking if they're fine.

I've raised chicken for meat couple of times ago and there's a difference between hens and meat chicken! More fun to have fresh eggs every day :p

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beautiful coop - the only thing I would change is the use of poultry chicken wire. I would recommend the use of 1/2" hardware cloth in run panels & also any windows or venting.

The electrified fencing is very good but in case of any outages the hardware cloth would still be a good back-up deterent.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. There is also "Canadians, check-in-here." thread if you want to know what is happening around you.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That is a really nice coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by