Newbie from Romney, WV area

tiedyewoman

Hatching
Feb 26, 2017
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the world of raising chickens. My husband and I have been talking about getting a few laying hens since we bought our property 5 years ago. We finally stopped talking and started doing this past weekend when my husband started building our chicken coop. I am SO excited to start on this new adventure! I've done a lot of reading but have never raised chickens before. Since the coop build is a weekend and evening endeavor I figure it'll be a month or so before we will be able to buy our girls and move them in. The coop is a small walk-in 5ft x 6ft with an enclosed run. We are planning on 3-4 hens to start but have no idea what breeds to get or even what is available in my area so any advice in that area will be most welcome! I'm sure I will have many questions and I look forward to connecting with others for tips and advice (of which I will need plenty, lol) especially any of you in my area.

Greetings from Kansas, tiedyewoman, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! First chickens are an exciting time. If you haven't done so yet, I urge you to visit the BYC Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
It is loaded with great articles that cover nearly the entire range of chicken keeping.
One thing I'd advise is to make your coop larger than you think you will need. If you love chickens and want to add more (and you will
smile.png
) you'll appreciate having a larger coop rather than remodeling the one you build to make it bigger.
Also, if you'd like to chat with fellow WV poultry folks, locate your state thread in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes and enjoy your chicken adventure!!
celebrate.gif

G’Day from down under tiedyewoman
frow.gif
Welcome!

redsoxs has given you some great starting points so I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on redsoxs comment to make the coop larger than you think you'll need! The bigger it is, the more the chickens will feel comfortable and it will be easier for you to clean...plus, there'll be room to add more chickens!

Hello tiedyewoman! I'm from Romney and have had chickens for several years. If I can be of help, just hollar. You can reach me with a pm. Have fun with your new venture.

Back
Top Bottom