Newbie from Texas Hill Country

rhoffart

Songster
9 Years
Oct 10, 2010
I joined this site a while back and every spring the wife and I have an annual "Can I get some chickens?" discussion. For the last few years it's kinda been a joke. This year I forgot to bring it up and out of the blue yesterday she said, "If you want chickens, go ahead".

My only question is; How often do they require attention? I mean, Can we go out of town for 7-10 day without anyone checking on them? I know they need food and water and I can set up feeders and drinkers but how about the eggs, poop?

About 10 years ago my brother and I raised quail. We had about 200 stacked in rack cages. I had to go out there every night to clean poop trays etc. I don't want this to be the same. Thanks for any feedback.
Rick

welcome-byc.gif
No you really can't go out of town for 7-10 without someone caring for them. They need fresh food and water, it it got stolen by squirrels or other wildlife, they would starve. But probably not for long because predators would decimate your flock.

Even with best of situations things happen, the birds knock over the water, or the food gets moldy(it can kill them) etc. etc. If they are cooped up for long periods of time, they can start attacking each other out of boredom etc. Who is going to separate the injured from the attackers? I think you get my drift.

Thanks for the reply. Auto food, water and caged run would not be a problem for me to set up. One dying or any coop maintenance, or gathering eggs, would be my concern.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom