Newbie from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Divanana, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Divanana

Divanana Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Hello y'all...I'm totally new to this lil chick raising, I'm going to pick my babies up tomorrow any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and the adventure of chicken keeping!

What breed(s) are you getting and how many chicks total? Have you already setup your brooder and secure all your supplies? You can find some great information and articles to get you and your flock off to a good start by visiting the learning center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you give us a better idea if there are specific things you are curious or concerned about we would be better able to help you.

3. Divanana

Apr 9, 2016
    I'm going to start with straight run chicksto start the learning process...I have most everything I need now..thanks to all that have posted I have been learning a lot so far..I'm not sure how old these chicks are in purchasing them at my local atwoods farm store.what's the best feed to start them out on?

4. Texaschicken223

Texaschicken223 New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    I'm new and from Texas too, I bought 6 buff Orpington chicks today and the lady who helped me (years of experience) started me with a medicated chick feed. Just your basic chick feed will do. She also recommended adding in a bit of grit until they're about 10 weeks of age

5. Texaschicken223

Texaschicken223 New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    [​IMG]
    These are my new chicks

2 people like this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

The best feed is chick or starter feed - its nutritionally balanced so no other food is necessary.

These links may help you for the moment.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The problem with straight runs - is you usually end up with more boys than girls. [​IMG]

8. Divanana

Apr 9, 2016
    I will try my luck we have friends that sell at flea markets etc.if I end up with boys I have takers...lol..I'm just excited about getting started.

9. Divanana

Apr 9, 2016
    Sad news....I went to get my chicks after church this afternoon and they won't have any until Tuesday,I had my heart set on bringing my babies home.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hang in there - it only means you have a couple more days to be sure you have everything ready for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by