Newbie From The Philippines!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by S.E.A. Farmer, Jul 30, 2010.

1. S.E.A. Farmer

S.E.A. Farmer New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    Hi All!

I'm an American currently living in South East Asia (Philippines). My wife and I have a small 7.5 acre farm. We currently are raising corn, and sugarcane, and rice planting is just starting. I would like to raise about 50 or so chickens, but I am wondering if it is cost effective. An adult live chicken goes for around 150 pesos here which is a little more than $3 U.S. Is it cost effective in the U.S. ? I'm sure the larger chicken producers would say so, but what about on a small scale? Your thoughts on this matter are much appreciated!

S.E.A. Farmer

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    WOW [​IMG]
    where in the Philipines are you ??

3. Twin Mom

Twin Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Floresville, Texas
    [​IMG] from Texas!!! [​IMG] I'm a newbie so not sure how cost effective, but has been a great adventure so far. With all the wonderful people on here I'm sure some will have the information you are looking for.

4. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana

5. hughmac312

hughmac312 Out Of The Brooder

welcome to the site,

lots of interesting people and information...

I've worked with a great number of Phillipinos and they are the friendliest,
    hardworking people... have fun

hugh

6. S.E.A. Farmer

S.E.A. Farmer New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    Quote:Dumaguete, Negros Oriental but our property is inland in the hill country closer to Mabinay.

Is there a way to attach pics or photobucket and the like only?

7. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    S.E.A. Farmer :

Quote:Dumaguete, Negros Oriental but our property is inland in the hill country closer to Mabinay.

here is the link tha tell you how to attach pics https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

My
    family lives in Pasay City near Manila​

8. S.E.A. Farmer

S.E.A. Farmer New Egg

Jul 30, 2010

here is the link tha tell you how to attach pics https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

My
    family lives in Pasay City near Manila

Cool! Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Looking downhill from about the middle of our property. This was taken in about April, the middle of the dry season. Things are looking much better now and EVERYTHING is green!

[​IMG]
    Looking upriver. This river is at the base of our property. This was also taken in April when the river is low. It is not so low now!

[​IMG]
    One of our Philippine tractors, a female water buffalo, or locally known as a Carabao. She is very sweet and will give you a BIG sloppy lick whenever she has the chance!

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome to BYC...you will love it here. Thanks for the pics....

10. gumamelachick

gumamelachick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    East Bay
    Hello- and [​IMG] from the San Francisco Bay Area!

I'm a little jealous- I miss being there. Your property looks wonderful! My mom and dad travel back and forth every couple of months (Bicolanos, Mom from Libon, Albay, and Dad from Naga). My next trip will be summer 2011.

Are you raising chickens for meat or eggs? Or both?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by