Newbie from the Pine Tree State

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Momlovesgoldens, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Momlovesgoldens

Momlovesgoldens New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    I've just begun hatching some red golden pheasant eggs laid by one of my hens. Strange because everything I've read says they aren't supposed to lay until March-April. Anyway, I had one hatch today. I was under the impression that the "clock" for hatching started the day the egg was laid. Apparently I was incorrect, because I dated every egg but put three aside in a cool room so I could get my incubator up and running. One chick died because of my error, one hatched today, and one is still in the incubator. I have 8 eggs laid about 2-3 days apart. I've candled them and they all have viable embryos. I have one that was laid yesterday that I haven't checked yet. My problem is that I placed every egg from December 9th onward into the incubator the day it was laid. Am I in trouble? Also, I read a post from Tony in NH (whom I purchased a red golden hen from a few months ago) that he allows his eggs to hatch while in the egg turner. Should I do that or should I take the egg out 3 days before hatching? Thanks for any and all help.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about pheasants (never had any), but definitely post on our pheasant section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/50/pheasants-and-partridge-chukar, and take advantage of our pheasant section there. You might also try posting on our Incubation and Hatching Eggs section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Michael.^

4. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Welcome to the BYC flock and Happy New Year! [​IMG] I wish you good luck with those pheasants.

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Morning and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by