Newbie from Utah needs advice

cressrb

Songster
12 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I am eager to get started with chicks. I have my Eglu on order. It should be here next week.
Since we are going into winter soon am I foolish to order chicks this time of year? Will I be
keeping them in the house for the next 3 months? Is it best to wait until Spring to raise
chicks?
Thanks for all advice,
Bonnie

Hi Bonnie!

I know alot of people order their chicks in the spring. And you're right, spring time is chick time. BUT, as long as you have a place you can keep them indoors, you can raise them up just fine, in my opinion. By ordering your chicks now, in five months, they will be ready to lay eggs, so you'll have eggs in the spring, which is nice.

I brood my chicks in a storage room in the basement. The down side to that is that you have alot of dust from the chicken's dander, and, the older the chicks get, the messier they are. By the time they're fully feathered, they're ready to go outside, and I'm REALLY READY for them to go outside! LOL

If you brood your chicks outside, say in the garage, with heat lamps, then there's a danger of the bulbs going out, and then your chicks will freeze. That's why I always brood mine in the basement. (Of course, I only usually have three to six chicks at a time, so it's not so bad.)

So, my advice to you is, get them when you want to! It's all good!
smile.png

Sharon

I agree to getting them in the fall, it is a great time. I too keep them in my basement, then when feathered they go into the garage or my barn and still have a light over them. It is best to put in two lights, in case one blows. I would NOT keep them in an Igloo until they are a bit bigger, but it would be a great play yard in the day time once they are bigger. The huge problem I face is the dust, it gets everywhere. If you cannot provide some shelter with a heat lamp though, I would def. wait until warmer weather. Hey, I know people who raise a few birds in their bathtub! Or a huge rubber tub, then add on rooms as needed. You can do this with cardboard boxes as well. I love chicks in the winter though, they get to be so tame. HenZ

Back
Top Bottom