Newbie from Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by robinbond, Aug 11, 2010.

1. robinbond

robinbond In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Granite Falls
    I am so excited to get my first egg/s. I have a total of 19 chickens, one is a Cochin rooster and 1 in an Ameraucana with a scissor beak. I purchased day/s old chicks on April 16th and my Plymouth Rocks are maturing very quick. I was wondering if it is healthy for the rooster to be in hen house and chicken run with the hens all of the time? My rooster has just become very protective of his hens while we are in the hen house and he has been real mean. What to do?[​IMG]

2. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] From Maine, I also have barred rocks and am waiting i still have a month to go before eggs, I have a rooster with mine, in coop and in run...and no problems..

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Welcome from Eatonville Wa. Sounds like you are hooked on birds like the ret of us.

4. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from south carolina/fla. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chevis

Chevis Songster

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    Howdy from Missouri!! Your chickens should b fine, but when he starts attacking u thats when its a problem!

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello robinbond! [​IMG] from Tucson, AZ. Ask your question about your mean roo in the Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying section of the forum. Many will offer advice on what to do.

8. Chevis

Chevis Songster

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    Quote:Very True... Everyone is a great help!![​IMG]

9. robinbond

robinbond In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Granite Falls
    I got my first egg from my 18 week old Plymouth Rock on August 20th and I got a first egg from one of leghorns at 18.5 weeks old on August 23rd. There have been about 4 shell-less eggs in between these dates. I am so excited and can't wait to get out to the coop to check for eggs every morning, mid morning, noon, afternoon, evening. I am sooo chicken obsessed. I never thought I would love raising chickens this much.

10. bella1210

bella1210 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    [​IMG] from ct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: