1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from Western NY

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Heritage Farmstead, May 15, 2009.

1. Heritage Farmstead

Heritage Farmstead Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Western NY
    I've been reading along for awhile now, and have loved every minute of it! Thank you all for such a wonderful place to share [​IMG]

I've always wanted chickens (my parents both raised them as kids) and finally we have made the leap. We have dogs and bunnies, but this is the first 'farm' animals here at Heritage!

We have our plan all set for our hen house - but I'm curious to know what everyone uses for flooring in your coop. I have seen several that use linoleum?? Is this ok for their feet, so long as you have some other form of bedding such as wood chips, leaves etc. Seems that it would be easy clean up .... our coop will have wood flooring, looking for advice/suggestions!

Many Thanks!

2. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    [​IMG]

We are using fiberglass wall panel over our wood floor (from Home Depot/Lowes) aka: glasboard...it is mainly used in restaurants and bathrooms and has a bumpy textured feel to it, is thin and comes in 4x8 sheets. Easy to clean, etc.

You can also put horse stall mats (tractor supply has them) for cushion.
    I've read alot of people here that use vinyl, etc.

I think if you have a deeper bedding on the floor it should be ok??

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG] from Russia, NY

4. brandytab

brandytab Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Hi from E NY! Vinyl here [​IMG]

5. PacsMan

PacsMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Salt Lake Valley
    Quote:Works great!

One thing I would have done differently when building my coop; I would have put the linoleum on ~before~ I built the walls on. That stuff is not easy to put in, especially with a small coop.

Here's my detailed plans for a small, inside garage coop.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by