Newbie from Western Pa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JennRB, Mar 22, 2018.

1. JennRB

JennRB In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    Hello Everyone! I am somewhat a newbie to the chicken world. I have been around chickens and cared for them as adults when family goes on vacation, but this is my first time actually getting my own babies. Hopefully tomorrow I can pick them at our local farm! I am looking at getting Orpington's and Wyandottes as I have two younger children of my own and really want to start with some nicer chickens. I'm excited to read the articles and learn from everyone's experiences but if you have any specifics for me, please educate me :) I'm a little nervous as these babies will only be two or three days old, but yet I'm SO Excited!! I can't Wait!

2. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    :frow:welcome
    I will “tag” you in the Pennsylvania thread. You will get an alert. Just click on it.

3. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
    It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

drumstick diva, 007Sean, Plip and 2 others like this.
  4. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Welcome! Enjoy your new babies, make lots of room because chicken math happens, you'll get more!

drumstick diva, 007Sean, Plip and 3 others like this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    007Sean and Plip like this.
  6. If you can get a couple of Easter Eggers. Your kids will like the colors of the eggs.

007Sean, Plip, JennRB and 1 other person like this.
  7. JennRB

JennRB In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    I am into Gardening! I'll have to check this out and the First Aid Kit! Thank you so Much!

8. JennRB

JennRB In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    Thank you! I think i'm starting to feel it, I only want to start with a few, maybe six tops, But there are so Many I'm Loving I may have to add on in the future!

Teila, 007Sean and Plip like this.
  9. JennRB

JennRB In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    I'm a little confused on the Easter Eggers, do the actual birds come in different colors? And are they smaller? I looked them up last night but different things were coming up. But the Eggs are Beautiful!! and your right, they would Love them!

drumstick diva, 007Sean and Plip like this.
  10. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you here!

JennRB, drumstick diva and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: