Newbie genetics and egg colour questions

ev-chicka

Chirping
May 21, 2019
Hi all,

I’m new to breeding and understanding genetics and have so many questions. To start, I’m wondering how the blue/green egg genes translate and what happens when you breed a Silverudds Isbar with blue egg layers (cc Legbar) or olive layers (marans/ameraucana mix)? Does the green genetics from isbar dilute egg colour or make it more vibrant??

For example, I’m breeding Legbar with Isbar. I’ve read this makes super blue egg layer, is that true? Or is it just another light blue/green egg?

And what will his green do with my olive eggs?

Thanks in advance. And probably more questions to come haha

(pics of Isbar roo and some eggs I’ve hatched...Legbar, ameraucana, BCM, Olive Eggers...)

Attachments

• 511FEFF1-9582-494C-96C7-2D17976DE363.jpeg
    511FEFF1-9582-494C-96C7-2D17976DE363.jpeg
    995.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 422206A0-3108-4138-AE5E-BECC9661BE9B.jpeg
    422206A0-3108-4138-AE5E-BECC9661BE9B.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 3
This may get a bit technical.

There are two known(genetically sequenced) mutations that are responsible for the blue eggshell color in chickens. The south american type(O^s for south american Oocyan) and the chinese mutation(O^c for chinese Oocyan), interestingly enough both are independant mutations caused by the same retrovirus on the same allele but on a different region of the o allele.

All american(south & north) and european blue/green shell colored breeds carry the same south american mutation. So crossing Isbars and CCL will yield blue or turquoise eggs. As for shades, you will find difference even on the same breeds, I have 3 native nicaraguan blue eggers, I can tell which of my hens laid the egg I hold on my hand, my favorite one lays a satin turquoise, the boss one a matt turquoise and the laidback one a glossy turquoise.

Super blue eggers are the cross of a blue egger with white leghorn, they are called super due to how proliffic they are, not on the color of the eggs

Sorry, yes I realize I simplified that question too much, I meant how does the Isbar blue gene and brown gene (that makes green) influence breeding...

Back
Top Bottom